STEAM Fair at SES
Science, Technology, Engineering, Art/Design, Mathematics
Thursday, October 27
6:30 - 7:30
Projects by students in grades 3-5
SCHOOL BOARD BRIEF
October 18, 2016
NEWS AND EVENTS
October 18, 2016
The recently released 2016 Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBAC) scores show Stowe students performing above state averages in both Math and English Language Arts across all grade levels. Congrats to our current seniors whose SBAC scores placed Stowe among the top 5 high schools in the state for Grade 11 Math and English! While the SBAC results show strong levels of proficiency among Stowe students, they are one of many data points that help us to identify areas for improvement. As a next step, the school board has scheduled a comprehensive review of Stowe's K-12 math program at the December 5 meeting. As always, school board meetings are open to the public. SBAC data is available on the Agency of Education website and Vermont Digger has also published a useful overview of statewide SBAC results using interactive graphs.
- Retirement: We bid farewell to one of our fourth-grade teachers, Carol Limanek. After 33 years here at Stowe Elementary, Ms. Limanek has decided to retire for personal reasons. We are actively seeking an interim teacher who will complete this school year with the fourth-grade team. Ms. Limanek will remain until her replacement has been found and will facilitate the transition. I hope you will join me in wishing her the best in her retirement.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences: 11/3: 3:30-7:00 and 11/11: 11:00-7:00. Please sign up through PTC Wizard on the Stowe Elementary School Website. Go to the website, then "For Parents." Click on "Conferences" in the dropdown menu.
- PTO Art Cards: This is a wonderful opportunity to support your student artist, contribute to the PTO, and purchase holiday gifts. More information and ordering details can be found HERE
- Basketball: Basketball season is here! Sign up today! Youth basketball programs are offered for all Stowe residents in grades K-6. Teams play at the SES gym. Practice and game times vary depending on the number of teams and gym availability.
- Fall Family Hike: Stowe Land Trust is sponsoring a family hike on November 19 at 10:00 AM. The meeting place is Wiessner Woods parking lot off of Edson Hill Road. Don't let stick season get you down; get outside with SLT on a kid-friendly hike. Free. All ages welcome!
- Stowe Gear: Support Stowe High School students by purchasing Stowe Gear at the ONLINE STORE. The deadline to order is 11/13. The gear will arrive at SHS before the holiday break.
STEAM Fair - October 27
PTO Art Cards Orders Due - October 28
Halloween Parade - October 31
Movie Night - November 10
Conferences - November 3 & 11
Thanksgiving Recess - November 23 - 25